Table of Contents
osFree is a (Free Open Source software) operating system development project, aiming to replace eventually all OS/2 subsystems with Open source analogues. It aims for OS/2 Warp 4 (Merlin) as a base compatibility system, which does not mean that we will not support features of newer (OS/2 Warp Server for e-business, eComStation and ArcaOS) OS/2 versions. This includes rewriting not only user-level code but the OS/2 kernel too.
We're collecting existing code for OS/2 subsystems for years. Also we are developing our own bootloader named FreeLdr and OS/2 personality for L4 microkernel, i.e. a number of servers, implementing the Control Program (OS/2 kernel) Interface functionality in userspace. See osFree design and development concept for more details. Visit the Chat Channel on the EFNET
Several projects with similar goals exist (or existed). Here is the brief comparison of goals and tasks of different projects.
Our project is reusing the code of many opensource projects.
Forum migration to pbpbb3.
Today we migrated our forum from myUPB to phpbb3. Also, from now, wiki logins are integrated with forum, so, once you login to wiki, you're logged-in in forum, and vice versa. We migrated all old wiki users, so, login/password are still the same.
Migration to the new hosting.
Today we started migration of osfree.org to another hosting. Here we'll have more powerful server with more disk space, RAM and network bandwidth.
Migration to GitHub.
Today Oxyd finished migration of our source code repository from SourceForge to GitHub. Our new repository is https://github.com/osfree-project/osfree/. We welcome new contributions and pull requests, since now.
Migration to Genode is started.
We started to create the required abstraction layers to make the osFree OS/2 personality more portable. This will allow us to also create L4Re and Genode ports. As our OS/2 personality is currently based on an outdated and abandoned L4Env OS framework, we need to migrate to a more alive and developing framework. Most promising is Genode OS framework, though, L4Re, which is a successor for L4Env is also evolving and it supports more hardware platforms, than Genode. So, ideally, we need ports of our OS/2 personality to both. Currently, Genode has more priority, the port is in progress.
RSS feeds repaired, the fight with spambots seems to reach the end
After server crash at the end of 2012, the site is being repaired from Feb.-Mar. 2013 until now. Now the wiki is being filled with info (some of which is restored from web.archive.org), and parts of Forum too. So, welcome to our new site! Also, until now, some code were committed to the repo (namely, fat32.ifs with FORMAT routine enabled (by valerius), and also commits by Viking, fixing some problems with build system under linux etc.)
A presentation of osFree on CC'2011
August 28, osFree team member Vadim Priluzkiy (aka Oxyd) has demonstrated osFree OS/2 personality working together with l4linux over L4 microkernel. The presentation was carried out during the Chaos Constructions'2011 yearly Computer Art Festival. (http://party11.cc.org.ru), the presentation video is here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=yxE6Jy3SQ04
We have linked our channels #osfree @ eCSNet and #osfree @ EFNet. All messages in one channel are translated to another channel. Also we reviewing our release and development position to be more effective. As always, we are welcome new developers in many areas (DOS/WIN16 and OS/2 subsystems).
Registration in forums at osfree.org site is enbled recently. Please report forum bugs and render problems to us in “osfree.org site” forum.
We released this preview to show actual possibility of LX executables (native OS/2 executable file format) to be run on top of L4. Output from LX executable is “I am really small!” phrase. Other things are debug output. Our executable uses msg.dll which uses doscalls.dll. So, linking also works. Also we present here osFree loader which allows to load as Multiboot compatible kernels as native OS/2 kernel. Loader is modular and easy to extend. Next release will provide some interactive like directory browsing and files execution. See roadmap at www.osfree.org for more info.
New logo and site fixes
We replaced our old logo by new modern one. Thanks to Alexander Kramer for this work. Also we fixed small annoying bugs in our CMS. Thanks to Kim Haverblad for the help.
Better news service at #osFree
Starting from now irc://irc.efnet.net#osfree channel supports rss news translation to channel. You will see any changes of project immediatly. Thanks to Yoda for bot extending.
EFNet bots changed
EFNet bots osfreebot and osfree is dead. We are glad to present new bot: osFree2. Thanks to Yoda for bot hosting.
Github commit log
- doscalls: Add full debug output about each function parameters and re… by valerius2k (2018/12/31 04:55)doscalls: Add full debug output about each function parameters and return code.
- Update Regina REXX to version 3.9.1. by valerius2k (2018/09/06 19:42)Update Regina REXX to version 3.9.1.
- rxqueue: Further simplification of code. by valerius2k (2018/08/28 04:57)rxqueue: Further simplification of code.
- REXX fixes. by valerius2k (2018/08/28 04:20)REXX fixes. - Uppercase function name in Regina DosQueryProcAddr wrapper, so that, it will find the entry point. - Add log access mutex in REXX.DLL and REXXAPI.DLL. - Reorder wrong order of three functions in REXXAPI.DLL, so that the correct function will be called.
- Add rxqueue clone. by valerius2k (2018/08/28 04:13)Add rxqueue clone.
- Enhance rexx.dll and rexxapi.dll. by valerius2k (2018/08/24 15:55)Enhance rexx.dll and rexxapi.dll. - Rename debug to log - Add "unimplemented" message and stubs for unimpl. functions - Use UNI2H
- Add unintentionally deleted config.h file. by valerius2k (2018/08/23 12:32)Add unintentionally deleted config.h file.
- Add unintentionally deleted genwrap.cmd script. by valerius2k (2018/08/23 11:41)Add unintentionally deleted genwrap.cmd script.
- Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/osfree-project/osfree by valerius2k (2018/08/23 11:29)Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/osfree-project/osfree
- Some small fixes by valerius2k (2018/08/23 11:11)Some small fixes - fix some REXX scripts for Regina bug on OS/2: strip spaces from argument got from "parse arg ..." - Remove wrongly added PAG_GUARD and return PAG_COMMIT back when allocating stacks for rexx.dll/rexxapi.dll
- Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/prokushev/osfree by prokushev (2018/08/23 03:32)Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/prokushev/osfree
- small sort of functions by prokushev (2018/08/23 03:31)small sort of functions
- Merge remote-tracking branch 'remotes/upstream/master' by prokushev (2018/08/23 03:28)Merge remote-tracking branch 'remotes/upstream/master'
- command.com build and warnings fixes by prokushev (2018/08/23 03:09)command.com build and warnings fixes
- Fix regina.dll for concurrent use in many ththreads (properly init C … by valerius2k (2018/08/22 19:45)Fix regina.dll for concurrent use in many ththreads (properly init C runtime).
Last bugtracker issues
- 0000005: minstall parser (2019/01/20 11:20)
- 0000001: Move most Regina REXX messages to .msg files (2019/01/20 11:01)
- 0000008: cmd.exe redirection to pipes and devices (2019/01/20 10:57)
- 0000007: ver reports incorrect revision (2019/01/20 10:56)
- 0000006: bin/tools not updated if /tools/scripts file changed (2019/01/20 10:54)
- 0000004: Add possibility to tokenize scripts (2019/01/20 10:17)
- 0000003: Finish REXX.DLL and REXXAPI.DLL (2019/01/20 10:06)
- 0000002: Create an .INF file for REXX documentation (2019/01/20 10:02)
Last forum topics
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Re: osFree news by admin (2019/01/05 17:26)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: osFree news by admin (2019/01/05 17:25)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • osFree news by admin (2019/01/05 17:24)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Alive, dead or in a coma by admin (2019/01/05 17:23)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Alive, dead or in a coma by admin (2019/01/05 17:19)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Alive, dead or in a coma by admin (2019/01/05 17:18)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Alive, dead or in a coma by admin (2019/01/05 17:17)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Alive, dead or in a coma by admin (2019/01/05 17:15)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • A new year review by admin (2019/01/05 17:13)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Re: New moderators. by admin (2019/01/05 17:12)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Re: New moderators. by admin (2019/01/05 17:10)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Part 48 - Sep 11 2008 by admin (2019/01/05 17:08)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Re: New moderators. by admin (2019/01/05 17:07)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Re: New moderators. by admin (2019/01/05 17:05)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: New moderators. by admin (2019/01/05 17:04)
We're now at the alpha stage, which means that the current version is not feature-complete nor stable and not recommended for everyday usage. The 0.0.x release series will still stay in alpha stage, and 0.9 release series will be marked as beta, meaning a system which is suitable for every day use.
The next release will be 0.0.5, with an release date being open. See our osFree roadmap for details.
Getting access to site areas
The site has several separate areas, like wiki, forum, bugtracker, webmail and dotProject. If you want to get access to these, you should register here first. After admin approves you, you'll get access to all five parts of the site. Note also, that there is a guest account (user: guest, password: guest), which allows you to login to the site areas, requiring a login (like a dotProject area). It gives you a read only access. Once you log in into the forum, you get access to wiki too, and vice versa. The same login applies to dotProject, webmail and bugtracker. In case of troubles, you can contact site admin.