Table of Contents
osFree is a (Free Open Source software) operating system development project, aiming to replace eventually all OS/2 subsystems with Open source analogues. It aims for OS/2 Warp 4 (Merlin) as a base compatibility system, which does not mean that we will not support features of newer (OS/2 Warp Server for e-business, eComStation and ArcaOS) OS/2 versions. This includes rewriting not only user-level code but the OS/2 kernel too.
We're collecting existing code for OS/2 subsystems for years. Also we are developing our own bootloader named FreeLdr and OS/2 personality for L4 microkernel, i.e. a number of servers, implementing the Control Program (OS/2 kernel) Interface functionality in userspace. See osFree design and development concept for more details. Visit the Chat Channel on the EFNET
Several projects with similar goals exist (or existed). Here is the brief comparison of goals and tasks of different projects.
Our project is reusing the code of many opensource projects.
FreePM project now part of osFree project
FreePM project now part of osFree project. All source base now in osFree SVN and some goals slightly changed (like SOM interfaces instead of C++ interfaces and binary level compatibility, instead of source level compatibility). Most of services disabled and now osFree project services must be used. Thanks to Evgen Kotsuba for the help.
New team member
Vadim (Oxyd) Priluzkiy joined to osFree project. Welcome here!
#osfree IRC channels work now at EFnet and eCSnet under control of osfreebot and eCoLabs/osfree bots. Thanks to Digi for help.
New developer joined osFree project. Alan Grippon will work on DOS command line tools.
- We are looking for Win16 developers to work on Win16 applications (initial codebase available)
- We are looking for PHP developer to integrate our forum and core site
email@example.com Ricardo Nishimura 2008/09/12 18:36:
I want to join the project. Can you contact me?
sf.net news now duplicated at osfree.org
Starting from now project news from sf.net shown on main page of osfree.org
- We started collecting bugs in bugtracker
- Build system significally improved (thanks to Valery Sedletski)
- Work on OS/2 server internal structure started (Thanks to Sven-Eric Rosen and Sascha Schmidt for working on initial parts)
- Support of original IBM OS/2 Kernel loading in our loader is started (Thanks to Mike Greene)
- We are looking for DOS and Win16 developers to work on DOS command line tools and Win16 applications (initial codebase available)
- We are looking for PHP developer to integrate our forum and core site
firstname.lastname@example.org Alan Grippon 2008/09/07 21:54:
I'd like to help out with the DOS commands if you need a hand. My time is limited right now but I will eventually have more time to help out on other things. I could send my resume if you want to see my background. I also have lots of hardware and software to test and play with. Email me and let me know. [email hidden for spam protect] By the way, I couldn't figure out how to get a log-on to your forums so I registered on your web site.
email@example.com Yuri Prokushev 2008/09/11 13:54:
I sent email to you with some explanation of tasks.
According to our roadmap we are now at version 0.0.3 now. We have a general working of FreeLDR (except config parser and VBE support) for stage 0.0.2 and a working CONFIG.SYS parser for stage 0.0.3. We still are thinking about real requirements for version 0.0.4 at the present time because we have working LX parser prototype and most of IFS must be in Personality Neutral services. So, we are planning to slightly review the 0 .0.x series roadmap for better representation of our current situation and needs. Most probably, we will introduce following changes:
|0.0.2||EXT2FS must be finished (in general) and boot sequence must be implemented. GRUB must be removed. MicroFSD is 16-bit (OS/2 compatible), IFS is 32-bit (not OS/2 compatible). MicroFSD must load FreeLDR and execute it. FreeLDR must load L4 kernel and root task (osFree kernel stub). LILO must not be required for EXT2FS.||Done|
|Note: MiniFSD is absent because not required for microkernel architecture.|
|0.0.3||osFree kernel must parse CONFIG.SYS using file provider server (not real device driver loading) and show config tree.||Done|
|0.0.4||LX loader and module linker (using file provider server). osFree kernel must load and execute PROTSHELL application.||Not Done|
|0.0.5||Filesystem API implementation. LX loader must allow loading of ‘Hello, world’ task via file provider and execute it. ‘Hello, world’ task is CMD.EXE prototype.||Not Done|
Today we started uploading the sources to SVN with the aim to configure a common build system. As we do not yet have an own SVN-Server yet, we are using the SourceForge Server. You can find the sources at https://sourceforge.net/projects/osfree/. At the moment this is NOT fully functional, not even all parts of the sources have been uploaded. Still feel free to improve osFree
For Linux personality we can select existent Linux distribution to have as less maintaining as possible. The Linux personality isn't the main goal of the project and we don't want to lose much time for it.
The Poll about Linux personality is located here.
The dotProject portion of our site has been restored after a long time of being unable to be used by either guests or the osFree staff, upgraded as there was an oppertuinity to do so. In addition to this recently we’ve had a large amount of downtime due to some big problems with one of our host’s hard drives. But now, you can now enjoy viewing the site again and most importantly the project’s status.
PhpBB and Dokuwiki logins have been integrated.
Github commit log
- doscalls: Add full debug output about each function parameters and re… by valerius2k (2018/12/31 04:55)doscalls: Add full debug output about each function parameters and return code.
- Update Regina REXX to version 3.9.1. by valerius2k (2018/09/06 19:42)Update Regina REXX to version 3.9.1.
- rxqueue: Further simplification of code. by valerius2k (2018/08/28 04:57)rxqueue: Further simplification of code.
- REXX fixes. by valerius2k (2018/08/28 04:20)REXX fixes. - Uppercase function name in Regina DosQueryProcAddr wrapper, so that, it will find the entry point. - Add log access mutex in REXX.DLL and REXXAPI.DLL. - Reorder wrong order of three functions in REXXAPI.DLL, so that the correct function will be called.
- Add rxqueue clone. by valerius2k (2018/08/28 04:13)Add rxqueue clone.
- Enhance rexx.dll and rexxapi.dll. by valerius2k (2018/08/24 15:55)Enhance rexx.dll and rexxapi.dll. - Rename debug to log - Add "unimplemented" message and stubs for unimpl. functions - Use UNI2H
- Add unintentionally deleted config.h file. by valerius2k (2018/08/23 12:32)Add unintentionally deleted config.h file.
- Add unintentionally deleted genwrap.cmd script. by valerius2k (2018/08/23 11:41)Add unintentionally deleted genwrap.cmd script.
- Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/osfree-project/osfree by valerius2k (2018/08/23 11:29)Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/osfree-project/osfree
- Some small fixes by valerius2k (2018/08/23 11:11)Some small fixes - fix some REXX scripts for Regina bug on OS/2: strip spaces from argument got from "parse arg ..." - Remove wrongly added PAG_GUARD and return PAG_COMMIT back when allocating stacks for rexx.dll/rexxapi.dll
- Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/prokushev/osfree by prokushev (2018/08/23 03:32)Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/prokushev/osfree
- small sort of functions by prokushev (2018/08/23 03:31)small sort of functions
- Merge remote-tracking branch 'remotes/upstream/master' by prokushev (2018/08/23 03:28)Merge remote-tracking branch 'remotes/upstream/master'
- command.com build and warnings fixes by prokushev (2018/08/23 03:09)command.com build and warnings fixes
- Fix regina.dll for concurrent use in many ththreads (properly init C … by valerius2k (2018/08/22 19:45)Fix regina.dll for concurrent use in many ththreads (properly init C runtime).
Last bugtracker issues
- 0000005: minstall parser (2019/01/20 11:20)
- 0000001: Move most Regina REXX messages to .msg files (2019/01/20 11:01)
- 0000008: cmd.exe redirection to pipes and devices (2019/01/20 10:57)
- 0000007: ver reports incorrect revision (2019/01/20 10:56)
- 0000006: bin/tools not updated if /tools/scripts file changed (2019/01/20 10:54)
- 0000004: Add possibility to tokenize scripts (2019/01/20 10:17)
- 0000003: Finish REXX.DLL and REXXAPI.DLL (2019/01/20 10:06)
- 0000002: Create an .INF file for REXX documentation (2019/01/20 10:02)
Last forum topics
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Re: osFree news by admin (2019/01/05 17:26)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: osFree news by admin (2019/01/05 17:25)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • osFree news by admin (2019/01/05 17:24)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Alive, dead or in a coma by admin (2019/01/05 17:23)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Alive, dead or in a coma by admin (2019/01/05 17:19)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Alive, dead or in a coma by admin (2019/01/05 17:18)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Alive, dead or in a coma by admin (2019/01/05 17:17)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Alive, dead or in a coma by admin (2019/01/05 17:15)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • A new year review by admin (2019/01/05 17:13)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Re: New moderators. by admin (2019/01/05 17:12)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Re: New moderators. by admin (2019/01/05 17:10)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Part 48 - Sep 11 2008 by admin (2019/01/05 17:08)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Re: New moderators. by admin (2019/01/05 17:07)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: [osFree] Re: New moderators. by admin (2019/01/05 17:05)
- Old osFree Yahoo! group • Re: New moderators. by admin (2019/01/05 17:04)
We're now at the alpha stage, which means that the current version is not feature-complete nor stable and not recommended for everyday usage. The 0.0.x release series will still stay in alpha stage, and 0.9 release series will be marked as beta, meaning a system which is suitable for every day use.
The next release will be 0.0.5, with an release date being open. See our osFree roadmap for details.
Getting access to site areas
The site has several separate areas, like wiki, forum, bugtracker, webmail and dotProject. If you want to get access to these, you should register here first. After admin approves you, you'll get access to all five parts of the site. Note also, that there is a guest account (user: guest, password: guest), which allows you to login to the site areas, requiring a login (like a dotProject area). It gives you a read only access. Once you log in into the forum, you get access to wiki too, and vice versa. The same login applies to dotProject, webmail and bugtracker. In case of troubles, you can contact site admin.