Part 39 - Dec 02 2004

Old messages from osFree mailing list hosted by Yahoo!
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1925
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:23 am
firstname: osFree
lastname: admin

Part 39 - Dec 02 2004

Post by admin » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:23 am

#1149 Re: [osFree] 'E-Mail' Sent to IBM !!
Expand Messages

Tom Lee Mullins
Dec 2, 2004

>
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 09:23:37 -0500 (EST), Tom Lee Mullins wrote:
>
>>The greater the number of people asking to have
>>OS/2 Warp open source, the greater the chance
>>that it will be open sourced.
>
> They employ extremely intelligent robots to process users' feedback. One
> who mentions something about "OS/2" should be assured that it takes zero
> people in IBM to read, process and archive such messages...
>

If alot of people ask, perhaps we could overload
that system where they have to respond? (either in
a positive or negative way?).

--

BigWarpGuy :)

PS Perhaps I could use 'Warp' instead of 'OS/2'?
Perhaps it could be 'snuck through'?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * eComStation * * * * * * * * * * *
* * the os for the internet generation * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * http://www.ecomstation.com * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1925
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:23 am
firstname: osFree
lastname: admin

Re: [osFree] 'E-Mail' Sent to IBM !!

Post by admin » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:24 am

#1150 Re: [osFree] 'E-Mail' Sent to IBM !!
Expand Messages

Gregory L. Marx
Dec 2, 2004
I have to tell you Tom, sometimes when you repost various messages to
the half-dozen lists like you've been known to do it gets on my nerves a
bit, but in this case I'm right with you Brother ...

I'd love to know if and what IBM would do if they received a couple of
thousand of emails/requests to open-source OS/2 completely, or only
selective parts. I think it would be an interesting read should they
finally respond. If only for the historical record in the public domain.

Keep at it ! And of course let us know should IBM respond.

GLM

Tom Lee Mullins wrote:

Hide message history
>>
>> I surmise that IBM's robots, of whatever level of intelligence, are busy
>> with more important tasks, whereas all e-mail about "OS/2" receive a
>> quick and merciless end in a dimly lit back office by "OutLook" running
>> on a sufficient number of computers to ensure continuous operation, :-).
>>
>> Andrew Belov wrote:
>
>Even if I fail to get OS/2 open sourced, I will know that
>I tried (better to try and fail than to have never tried
>at all).
>

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1925
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:23 am
firstname: osFree
lastname: admin

Re: [osFree] 'E-Mail' Sent to IBM !!

Post by admin » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:27 am

#1151 Re: [osFree] 'E-Mail' Sent to IBM !!
Expand Messages

Kenn Yuill
Dec 2, 2004
Tom Lee Mullins wrote:

>
>>Kenn Yuill Belov wrote:
>>
>>I surmise that IBM's robots, of whatever level of intelligence, are busy
>>with more important tasks, whereas all e-mail about "OS/2" receive a
>>quick and merciless end in a dimly lit back office by "OutLook" running
>>on a sufficient number of computers to ensure continuous operation, :-).
>>
>
>
> Even if I fail to get OS/2 open sourced, I will know that
> I tried (better to try and fail than to have never tried
> at all).
>
>

I wish you all the good fortune in your quest. I fear that any release
of OS/2 to open source may happen only after the number of users has
reduced to a mere handful in about 7 to 10 years.
You may have better luck getting OS/2 for the PowerPC released to open
source, but I don't know if there are many users who could take
advantage of such an event.

--
Ciao,
Kenn
_________________________________________________________

Always act as if life is a joyous journey. - Kenn Yuill
Warp4 FP15 - Thunderbird 0.9 - Firefox 1.0 GA
-oOo-
_____ Quotation for Today _____

Computers are like Old Testament gods;
lots of rules and no mercy.
- Joseph Campbell
_________________________________________________________

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1925
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:23 am
firstname: osFree
lastname: admin

Re: [osFree] 'E-Mail' Sent to IBM !!

Post by admin » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:29 am

#1152 Re: [osFree] 'E-Mail' Sent to IBM !!
Expand Messages

Lynn H. Maxson
Dec 3, 2004
Kenn Yuill writes:

"...You may have better luck getting OS/2 for the PowerPC
released to open source, but I don't know if there are many
users who could take advantage of such an event."

As many as we have OS/2 users. In fact such a release would
do more for OS/2's future than open sourcing the current
Intel-based version.

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1925
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:23 am
firstname: osFree
lastname: admin

Re: [osFree] 'E-Mail' Sent to IBM !!

Post by admin » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:29 am

#1153 Re: [osFree] 'E-Mail' Sent to IBM !!
Expand Messages

Kenn Yuill
Dec 3, 2004
Lynn H. Maxson wrote:

> Kenn Yuill writes:
>
> "...You may have better luck getting OS/2 for the PowerPC
> released to open source, but I don't know if there are many
> users who could take advantage of such an event."
>
> As many as we have OS/2 users. In fact such a release would
> do more for OS/2's future than open sourcing the current
> Intel-based version.

It seems to me that the best approach is a carefully crafted electronic
petition, which must have been suggested previously at some point. If
Tom Lee is willing to post his latest letter on this list as a starting
point, some of us could apply our editing skills, whether accomplished
or meagre, if needed and produce an eye-catching document. The benefit
is twofold, garnering more support from the OS/2 community and hopefully
impressing the right person or people at IBM and the media (via Esther
Schindler).

Of course, in view of the forthcoming holiday season, it may be best to
wait until January to start such a cooperative project, that is, if it
has any merit and support.

--
Ciao,
Kenn
_________________________________________________________

Always act as if life is a joyous journey. - Kenn Yuill
Warp4 FP15 - Thunderbird 0.9 - Firefox 1.0 GA
-oOo-
_____ Quotation for Today _____

Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work. - Aristotle

_________________________________________________________
* TagZilla 0.057 * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1925
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:23 am
firstname: osFree
lastname: admin

Re: 'E-Mail' Sent to IBM !!

Post by admin » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:30 am

#1154 Re: 'E-Mail' Sent to IBM !!
Expand Messages

Thomas Lee Mullins
Dec 3, 2004
--- In osFree@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory L. Marx" <Gregory.Marx@v...>
wrote:

> I have to tell you Tom, sometimes when you
> repost various messages to the half-dozen
> lists like you've been known to do it gets
> on my nerves a bit, but in this case I'm
> right with you Brother ...
>

Currently, this is the only OS/2 related list
or group at Yahoo that I am member of. I have
left all other Warp related groups at Yahoo.

> I'd love to know if and what IBM would do
> if they received a couple of thousand of
> emails/requests to open-source OS/2
> completely, or only selective parts.
> I think it would be an interesting read
> should they finally respond. If only
> for the historical record in the public
> domain.
>

So far the only reply I have received from
IBM is an automated one. I have used different
e-mail address's when I post a reply (I currently
have five).

> Keep at it ! And of course let us
> know should IBM respond.
>

At first it might take a while since I will
probably be in shock that they replied (other
than the automated ones that I usually receive).

> GLM
>

TomLeeM/BWG

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1925
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:23 am
firstname: osFree
lastname: admin

Re: 'E-Mail' Sent to IBM !!

Post by admin » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:32 am

#1155 Re: 'E-Mail' Sent to IBM !!
Expand Messages

Thomas Lee Mullins
Dec 3, 2004
...

>
> It seems to me that the best approach is a
> carefully crafted electronic petition, which
> must have been suggested previously at some
> point. If Tom Lee is willing to post his
> latest letter on this list as a starting
> point, some of us could apply our editing
> skills, whether accomplished or meagre, if
> needed and produce an eye-catching document.
> The benefit is twofold, garnering more support
> from the OS/2 community and hopefully impressing
> the right person or people at IBM and the media
> (via Esther Schindler).
>
> Of course, in view of the forthcoming holiday
> season, it may be best to wait until January
> to start such a cooperative project, that
> is, if it has any merit and support.
>
> --
> Ciao,
> Kenn
> _________________________________________________________

That is a good idea. I will start - at least try -
to do what you have suggested.

TomLeeM/BWG

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1925
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:23 am
firstname: osFree
lastname: admin

Re: 'E-Mail' Sent to IBM !!

Post by admin » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:34 am

#1156 Re: 'E-Mail' Sent to IBM !!
Expand Messages

Thomas Lee Mullins
Dec 17, 2004

> > It seems to me that the best approach is a
> > carefully crafted electronic petition, which
> > must have been suggested previously at some
> > point. If Tom Lee is willing to post his
> > latest letter on this list as a starting
> > point, some of us could apply our editing
> > skills, whether accomplished or meagre, if
> > needed and produce an eye-catching document.
> > The benefit is twofold, garnering more support
> > from the OS/2 community and hopefully impressing
> > the right person or people at IBM and the media
> > (via Esther Schindler).
> >
> > Of course, in view of the forthcoming holiday
> > season, it may be best to wait until January
> > to start such a cooperative project, that
> > is, if it has any merit and support.
> >
> > --
> > Ciao,
> > Kenn
> > _________________________________________________________
> That is a good idea. I will start - at least try -
> to do what you have suggested.
>
> TomLeeM/BWG

I will be getting help on the epetition from a member
at http://www.os2world.com . It might not get enough names
to convince IBM to open source OS/2 but I will never know
if I never try (better to have tried and failed than to
have never tried at all and live the rest of ones life
not knowing if one could).

TomLeeM/BMG

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1925
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:23 am
firstname: osFree
lastname: admin

Re: [osFree] Re: 'E-Mail' Sent to IBM !!

Post by admin » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:35 am

#1157 Re: [osFree] Re: 'E-Mail' Sent to IBM !!
Expand Messages

Davey Brain
Dec 17, 2004
Thomas Lee Mullins wrote:

>
>>>It seems to me that the best approach is a
>>>carefully crafted electronic petition, which
>>>must have been suggested previously at some
>>>point. If Tom Lee is willing to post his
>>>latest letter on this list as a starting
>>>point, some of us could apply our editing
>>>skills, whether accomplished or meagre, if
>>>needed and produce an eye-catching document.
>>>The benefit is twofold, garnering more support
>>>from the OS/2 community and hopefully impressing
>>>the right person or people at IBM and the media
>>>(via Esther Schindler).
>>>
>>>Of course, in view of the forthcoming holiday
>>>season, it may be best to wait until January
>>>to start such a cooperative project, that
>>>is, if it has any merit and support.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Ciao,
>>> Kenn
>>>_________________________________________________________
>>
>>That is a good idea. I will start - at least try -
>>to do what you have suggested.
>>
>>TomLeeM/BWG
>
>
> I will be getting help on the epetition from a member
> at http://www.os2world.com . It might not get enough names
> to convince IBM to open source OS/2 but I will never know
> if I never try (better to have tried and failed than to
> have never tried at all and live the rest of ones life
> not knowing if one could).
>
> TomLeeM/BMG

TomLeeM,
I appreciate the effort and will sign the petition as well as help
spread the word. When it's ready make sure you let us know. If it even
helps get part of the OS/2 op system/sub-systems open sourced it would
be great. It would even be nice if they just open sourced the OS/2
version of that REXX stuff they OSed this past week. Don't forget to
remind IBM that it would be good for their PR and further the goal of
showing they are all for open source.

WarpDavey
--
Davey Brain
Due to political oppression I'm seeking a Canadian or European
spouse...any takers?

"Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the
private school, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the
church and the state forever separate." - Ulysses S. Grant

This OS/2 uptime is 0 d 20 h 31 m 08 seconds

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1925
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:23 am
firstname: osFree
lastname: admin

Re: [osFree] Re: 'E-Mail' Sent to IBM !!

Post by admin » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:36 am

#1158 Re: [osFree] Re: 'E-Mail' Sent to IBM !!
Expand Messages

Tom Lee Mullins
Dec 18, 2004

>
> Thomas Lee Mullins wrote:
>>
>>>>It seems to me that the best approach is a
>>>>carefully crafted electronic petition, which
>>>>must have been suggested previously at some
>>>>point. If Tom Lee is willing to post his
>>>>latest letter on this list as a starting
>>>>point, some of us could apply our editing
>>>>skills, whether accomplished or meagre, if
>>>>needed and produce an eye-catching document.
>>>>The benefit is twofold, garnering more support
>>>>from the OS/2 community and hopefully impressing
>>>>the right person or people at IBM and the media
>>>>(via Esther Schindler).
>>>>
>>>>Of course, in view of the forthcoming holiday
>>>>season, it may be best to wait until January
>>>>to start such a cooperative project, that
>>>>is, if it has any merit and support.
>>>>
>>>>--
>>>>Ciao,
>>>> Kenn
>>>>_________________________________________________________
>>>
>>>That is a good idea. I will start - at least try -
>>>to do what you have suggested.
>>>
>>>TomLeeM/BWG
>>
>>
>> I will be getting help on the epetition from a member
>> at http://www.os2world.com . It might not get enough names
>> to convince IBM to open source OS/2 but I will never know
>> if I never try (better to have tried and failed than to
>> have never tried at all and live the rest of ones life
>> not knowing if one could).
>>
>> TomLeeM/BMG
>
> TomLeeM,
> I appreciate the effort and will sign the petition as well as help
> spread the word. When it's ready make sure you let us know. If it even
> helps get part of the OS/2 op system/sub-systems open sourced it would
> be great. It would even be nice if they just open sourced the OS/2
> version of that REXX stuff they OSed this past week. Don't forget to
> remind IBM that it would be good for their PR and further the goal of
> showing they are all for open source.
>
> WarpDavey
> --
> Davey Brain
> Due to political oppression I'm seeking a Canadian or European
> spouse...any takers?

Thanks for the offer of help. I have no doubt that it wil be valued greatly.
I will keep your suggestions in mind in doing the petition.

--

BigWarpGuy :)
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * eComStation * * * * * * * * * * *
* * the os for the internet generation * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * http://www.ecomstation.com * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Post Reply