IS there a bootable ISO file

General osFree promotion topics
generalram
firstname: Norman
lastname: King

IS there a bootable ISO file

Post by generalram »

out there for OSFree?

The download section seems broken I can't download it. I assume there is a CLI command prompt boot in L4.

I don't know how to compile the GIthub source yet, I am still learning Git and C++. I got some old PC 8088 DOS Assembly Language programming experience from college. It might help.

Please let me know where to find the working download section, thanks

Norman
valerius
Site Admin
firstname: Valery
lastname: Sedletski

Re: IS there a bootable ISO file

Post by valerius »

Yes, unfortunately, Yoda's ftp is currently down, so the two upper links were broken. But we have the same files
available from the main osFree ftp too, so I fixed the links, so now they point to the working location. I updated
the download area, also the same download area is available via ftp:
generalram wrote: I don't know how to compile the GIthub source yet, I am still learning Git and C++. I got some old PC 8088 DOS Assembly Language programming experience from college. It might help.
Compiling and testing is easy, but you need Linux for building the sources. There are readme's which explain
everything. Though, they need to be updated a bit. There are at least two source repos now:
-- which is "osFree userland" which could be compiled with OpenWatcom currently under OS/2, Linux and Windows.
And also there are "kernel" parts prototype, which works under L4Env and is currently being ported to Genode OS
framework (not ready yet):
This is what we call "OS/2 personality", it was demonstrated in Summer of 2011 on Chaos Constructions'2011
computer art festival in St. Petersbourg (Russia). (the upper link in the download area. This is the latest download
available). It was enhanced since then, but the updated ISO is not currently available. I could try building an updated
ISO, if you interested. Also, you can try building it from sources yourself. I could help in case of troubles.
WBR, valery
Don't use windows, try doors
valerius
Site Admin
firstname: Valery
lastname: Sedletski

Updated ISO

Post by valerius »

I updated the ISO image with the current version: ftp://osfree.org/pub/downloads/osfree-demo-0.0.4.8.zip
It is better run in QEMU or on a real machine. VBox should work too.
WBR, valery
Don't use windows, try doors